Search This Blog

Saturday 29 January 2011

New Ground, New Friends...

Had a great day today, in a part of the country which I have surely missed out on too long.  Towcester Tea and Kilimanjaro veteran Tony invited me to join him and his friends on their regular ramble for just over 10 miles around the Derbyshire Peak District.

So an early start to make some soup for my journey, before at 07:30 we set off up the motorway to Youlgreave, a small but ancient village in Derbyshire that sits upon a Limestone shelf, between two valleys, Bradford Dale, and Lathkill Dale.

Robin Hood's Stride
It was towards the Bradford Dale that we headed, 12 regular friends, and me making up a baker's dozen.  Leading the group, Tony's friend Jeremy who regularly gathers this group of friends together for a monthly hike around a variety of the UK's finest walking areas.  And so it was today...we headed off down the line of the River Bradford, over Grafton Moor, and along the Limestone Way to Robin Hood's stride, (an ancient pile of rocks,with two "turrets" that Robin is reported to have leaped between...doubtful, I would say), before heading back up to Youlgreave, for a well earned rest, a coffee, and some bakewell tart (in my case) or carrot cake at the Farmyard Inn.

Ideal preparation for Kilimanjaro, (I hope) we hiked for about 5 hours, over many hills, and through some fabulous valleys, and if there was ever an argument for walking to keep fit, then a chat along the way with long striding Rob (81 & 4th from the right, above) surely confirmed it.   I've not walked like this for over 20 years he said...but striding on up hills like a youngster he was great company, and an incredibly fit chap.... (I wonder, actually if he hasn't discovered a cocoon in his garden) 


Just a few small hills to get you in the mood, and blow away a few cobwebs, but this wasn't a stroll in park, and now typing this I'm quite happy to rest my feet.  Regrettably the bus was ages away, so with about 3 miles left on our journey, there was no choice but to walk.... I wonder if they have a stop at the Stella Point? 

It was a great day out, with a great new group of friends. With just 19 days to go before I head off for Tanzania, this was probably the last chance I will have to don the boots, and stretch my legs, so it was wonderful to have shared it with such great company.

19 Days... wow!!  It feels almost like yesterday I started my blog in August.

In that time, I have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed some amazing walks, around Snowdonia, Ben Nevis, the Malverns, and around Northamptonshire, local to me. Today I extended that list to include the Derbyshire Peaks.  For sure, when I return, there are many more hills to climb, just maybe not any as high.... Kilimanjaro waits... impatiently!!

Please sponsor me for this fabulous charity that does so much for children and young adults with autism in our community.  www.justgiving.com/graham-kennedy1




1 comment: