Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Thank you.....

August was a long time ago. What a journey was started by that little pop up advert in my inbox.  "Climb Kilimanjaro"...go on..you know you want to!!  Well I do want to, and in less than 48hours from now I will begin the final journey towards that goal.

On the way, I have been helped in so many ways by first family, and friends...by colleagues, and ex colleagues and by the generous spirit that is alive all around us, waiting to be tapped into.  Fundraising of any sort is a balance...how often can I ask? 

How much should I ask for?   Well, I needn't have worried!!



I was determined that the full cost of this adventure would be paid, without penalty or cost to my charity, or to the many people who have so kindly dipped into their pockets and who have made that decision to hand over their gift....and it is a gift.   I am delighted to confirm that 100% of the costs to take part in this adventure have been paid, not in personal donations, but by myself, or with the help of some corporate donations from friends at the Royal Mail, who through a matched funding scheme donated £200, and from local businesses Heavyweight Air Express, and Logistics solution provider Catalyst Logistics.


For the children, and young adults in Northamptonshire who are helped by the work of my chosen charity, Autism Concern...each £ that you have donated represents a chance.  A chance to be themselves, to enjoy security, support, and understanding in a world where chaos and conflict, confusion, and misunderstanding are common.  Together, you have helped to raise over £4000 in personal donations, or gifts.  Thank you!!



Children with autism require patience...patience, and understanding, a bit like Kilimanjaro... to borrow a quote from William Shakespeare "to climb steep hills, requires a slow pace at first" 

Six months preparation, and training ends tomorrow... a final rush round, maybe the odd moment of panic, but the bag is now packed, and I'm ready.

For Kilimanjaro, and for me, the wait is over!  On Friday, after a long flight we will greet each other, and in the early hours of February 25th I hope she will allow me to  stand on Africa's highest point, and to say a small thank you for her kindness, and a huge thank you for yours!!

This blog is over....I hope that you have enjoyed sharing the first part of my journey. A journey which has allowed me to enjoy some of the UK's most wonderful countryside,  where I have stood atop of Wales' highest mountain, in all weathers, 3 times.  I have enjoyed the Malverns, more local to me, but nonetheless just as beautiful, and a journey where I was smiled upon at Ben Nevis, the UK's highest point, on an October afternoon, which thought it was July, and high summer.

A journey that has introduced me to some inspirational new friends, and where our community has come together to enjoy great evenings of fun, and entertainment to help with my fundraising.  Where fate has allowed me to take on this trip with one of those new friends. 

Coincedence has thrown a curve ball, and we have caught it.  In a village of our size, who would have thought that two hithertoo strangers would be choosing the same goal....and how wonderful fate is that should allow us to enjoy it together? 

When I return, I will no doubt have tales to tell....but Kilimanjaro will no longer be waiting....

Thank you.  Thank you for your kind thoughts...for the encouragement, and compliments you have paid.  Thank you for the support you have offered, and for the donations you have made.


Graham :-) x


 







7 comments:

  1. "This blog is over"? I hope not as it would be nice to here all about your adventure in a further installment when you return.

    safe journey and happy climbing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you've done it! From the evening when you sat there tapping away on your laptop toying with the whole idea (and trying to rope my husband in)- to having now done it - give yourself a huge pat on the back! Well Done Graham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Graham!!.. Who knew, when i watched you cross the finish line for cancer research it would be leading to mountains!.. So very proud of you!
    I hope your all well

    Love from Vinnie x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Vinnie, thanks!! Everything is good, Kilimanjaro was fantastic. Go look at http://polepolekamatakima.blogspot.com

    and give me a shout sometime kennedy2324@tiscali.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm lost as to where you're blogging these days.. Are you blogging these days?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Karla, I've not put a blog together since returning from Africa, although I'm sure there is plenty I could think about. I did complete a diary blog of our climb http://polepolekamatakima.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6 KEYS TO CHOOSING MT KILIMANJARO CLIMBING ROUTE
    To choose the right Kilimanjaro Climb route for you, there are plenty of variables to be mindful of.
    Who: Who is climbing? The whole group's abilities must be factored into choosing a route. The rest of the party is relying on your decision. Pick a route that best fits everyone.
    What: What limitations surround your climb? Are you bound by a budget? Or the number of days on your trip? There are cheap/expensive routes, and short/long itineraries.
    How: How do you see your trek? Do you want the most challenging route or a less strenuous one? These answers will affect which route is for you.
    Where: Where do you want to begin your climb? The routes start from all sides of the mountain. Where you begin affects cost, scenery and scenic variety.
    Why: Why are you climbing? Is it very important to summit? Then choose a route with a high success rate. Do you want to take the best photos? Then pick the most scenic route.
    When: If you are climbing during the dry season, great. But if you are climbing during the rainy season or the shoulder seasons, then the route you select can play into the climb's difficulty.
    So Which is the best route to use to climb up kilimanjaro? Lemosho Route and Rongai Route are the most scenic routes up kilimanjaro. Mt Kilimanjaro Machame route is also a scenic and very popular route with many climbers.
    The Marangu Route Climb is however the most used route since it has the advantage of sleeping in huts with bunker beds, hot showers, beverages and beers in the evenings are also available. Marangu is also the shorter route and can be done in 5 days although an extra day for acclimatisation is recommended.

    ReplyDelete