Search This Blog

Monday 25 October 2010

Beware of expensive immitations...

Ok...that's a bit tenuous ....but I'm very aware that taking on a challenge like Kilimanjaro is an expensive business...since picking up the mantel I've been astonished by just how many sources there are now offering the opportunity of a lifetime....and no doubt...it is the opportunity of a lifetime!!



For every one of these challenges there are overheads to be paid, flight costs, porters, medical support, park fees etc....not to mention the backroom staff, advertising costs, business locations, and marketing that these businesses need to support.   Since the high profile of the sports relief challenge in 2008 the number of climbers on Kilimanjaro has quadrupled, and now around 50,000 people attempt the climb each year. 

Around 70% will be successful, but for everyone there are generally three ways to fund the climb.

  •  Minimum Contribution - Raise minimum £3500 Charitable donations, and pay about £499.
  •  Mixed Contribution - Raise minimum £2500 Charitable donations, and pay £1000.
  •  Self Funding - No Charitable donations necessary, pay around £1750.

There may be a little variation, but the cost of those overheads for all the businesses offering the trip is around £1750 - £2000.  That's why my contribution towards the cost of my event will be £1750.   No ifs, no buts...


I want 100% of the donations
 you make to be used for
the charity of my choice. 



There is no doubt, this is the most exciting, challenging, and daunting thing I've ever set about embarking upon.  Kilimanjaro is 19,340 ft (5895meters) to the Uhuro peak, the journey takes you along around 63kms of treking path, over 7 days, and 5 distinct micro climates.  Typically, the temperature at the bottom will be a tropical 30 degrees, by the time you reach day 5, climbing from 14,500ft to the top, temperatures may fall to -24degrees, and the last 3,000ft is likely to be across a frozen ice cap.   

For me, the value of this experience is priceless, and for sure it is not one which I would want anyone else to pay for.  I have set my heart on completing this, it will provide me with memories that you just cannot replace.  I will share mine, as I have read others....but only by doing it will you really know.. 

So if you have any doubts, that a donation, no matter how small was not going to be used directly to support Autism Concern, then I'm happy to dispel those fears.   No donation is too small...and every penny will be used to support the families, children, schools, support workers across our county.


Autism Concern (part of the the Autism Alliance) provide superb care, and support for thousands of families in Northamptonshire.   Climbing Kilimanjaro is beyond a value....donating just a few pounds can change lives.  You can be sure 100% of it will be donated to the Charity, and 0% to the organising company for my challenge. 

Thank you everyone who has donated, and to those still thinking..... well...I hope I've helped you reach a decision.  £1 or £100...invaluable, thank you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment