Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 February 2011

Boys Toys....it's just 14 more days!!

There are those suspicious folk out there who would have you believe that this whole Kilimanjaro expedition is an extravegent excuse to treat myself to a few gadgets...well...they're wrong, of course...but I have enjoyed hunting down a few small treats for myself. 

And there are so many to choose from, wow if Mr Lottery was kinder to me there is a host of little helpers out there...little being the most important thing to consider here...we have a maximum allowance of just 15kgs on the mountain so travelling light is most definitely the order of the day!!  (Of course, I can't imagine anyone wanting to carry anything more than that up 19,340 ft in minus 20 degrees). 

So, let me introduce you to my entertainment, some old, some new that I will have with me on this trip....


First up, we have my new watch...the Timex Expedition...it actually tells the time too..and unlike my other gadgets this little fella is actually, not very little...but hey, it will be on my wrist, and I figure that doesn't count as luggage.   I'm now perfectly able to tell the time at heights up to 27,000ft...or of course if the worst happens and I tumble into the volcano, then I'm still good at -330ft in a pool of water, in the DARK!!   I've always been a bit of a watch freak,  and I'm really pleased with this housebrick of a watch, and it's been a while since I had a good one on my wrist. 


Next up I have this little beauty.  

Mr Multi-functionality....so I will know exactly where we are in our journey towards the Uhuru peak.   Want to know how high up you are, in feet, or meters....your direction of travel, and the temperature your doing it in?  This is your baby....and all for just a few pennies. 

Actually, I guess there is an argument that says if you look at the machine and discover that you're heading South, when you should be heading North, and you have still got 4,800 feet to go...oh, and by the way, it's minus 20 outside??  It may not be good news...but....I like to be informed, so I'm delighted with this little gadget.

Of course, I will be taking my phone....there may be a signal that will allow the odd update on the way?  I'll have my iPod to keep me entertained when talking is impossible without collapsing from exhaustion.  Flip it onto shuffle, and enjoy almost 12 days of continuous music, with just the occasional interlude when I can teach myself Italian.....always handy in a foreign country to know a foreign language.....didn't the Italians occupy Kenya once upon a time?

and finally, I have my most treasured gadget of them all...a lifesaver of enormous proportions, this little baby is the key to my sanity I feel....and it's good for the environment.  I can't afford them on the house roof, but whilst we're living in tents, I have the power to maintain the link to my music.  Who would have thought, so much power out of just 6 inches??  (Thought I would put a line in for all you fans of a good double entendre) 

All I need now is a few moments in the sun each day....but hey, it is Africa.  They have loads of it don't they??

It's just 14 days til the off...excited?  Just a little!!

I hope that you have enjoyed my preparation over the last few months, and if you've enjoyed my blog, then a little comment of encouragement would be fantastic....if you've LOVED my blog, then of course you can also leave a small donation in my fund raising pot.  www.justgiving.com/graham-kennedy1

And, if you've been checking every day to see if I've put another update on, and you simply look forward to reading this stuff more than breakfast, dinner & tea...then please leave an enormous donation!!

checking out for tonight now.... thanks everyone.... Kilimanjaro waits....




No comments:

Post a Comment