Search This Blog

Sunday 12 September 2010

A Weekend of two halfs....

And so it was, that on Saturday, Liz & I joined a strange cult...it's called Champney's where people wander amongst you in just a brilliant white gown, bare-footed, often, except where health & safety won't allow.  Like rabbits trawling the halls, brilliantly white, with exaggerated tails, letting the lush carpet tickle your feet.  It's not grass, but a blue deep pile, Some choose to just lounge on one of many settees, quietly enjoying the mini heaven.   People whisper, not to be heard, and just occasionally, someone breaks free...dons a new uniform, made of lycra and heads off to another room, where you work!! On treadmills, bikes, step machines, and the biggest beach balls I've ever seen.  It felt earily like a scene from Blade Runner....only without Arnie. 

Anyway, it wasn't long before we were called to our preparation room...."take off the robe, I'm going to smother you in butter" she said...it sounded fair enough, so I complied..Basted like a chicken, and covered in foil, I cooked slowly for 30 minutes, while having my temples felt.

"Did you enjoy that?" said Liz....also removed early from the oven....I did, but I really don't think I'll cook in just 30 minutes, not even in a microwave, and not even though Mr Wii is now reporting I'm 15lbs lighter than I was on July 27th!!

Well, I'm off for some more, and so she went....meanwhile I was called to the labour room.  No...not that labour room fgs??  The HARD labour room, and my carriage awaited....for the second time in my life I "enjoyed" spinning!!  45 minutes like a gerbil on a wheel, only sweating profusely, and trying hard to keep up with my lycra mistress....anyway, I'm still not convinced by spinning, but it did leave me with legs that for 10 minutes were just an imagination...I was walking on jello (oh, a chance to play that clip again, for those of you that missed it)....just click the work jello & all will be clear.

Meanwhile, Liz was being pampered...she had risen up the ranks of the warren, deserving of special status where glamourous fingers would rub enriching gels all over her....phew....so that was Saturday....

Sunday, was a different matter....just a few friends had invited me to come & do some training, while helping them raise some money for Cancer Research...and so it was, that for the 2nd time in a Month I was climbing Snowdon. 

Not that Charlie minded....this time we headed off up the Llanberis path, 9 miles apparently around....4.5 of them are easy...4.5 of them are hell!!   Coming down is hell....it's a loose path, and my knees now feel like that of a 43 year old!!  (Oh?  They are those of a 43 year old?) 

We did see a little more of the train than the last time, as the Llanberis path crosses the line twice on the way up.  Not quite the tranquility of Saturday, but it was good to catch up with some old friends, and share their first experience up this particular hill.  Congratulations Phil & Claire, and well done with your fundraising.

3 weekends time til Ben Nevis....it would be great to see you there!! 

Of course this week has been a fantastic one for my fundraising....Silverstone Race Track, and the British Racing Driver's Club have helped me with a donation of some tickets, for 2 adults, and up to 8 children to enjoy a weekend of racing at Silverstone in 2011.  Imagine the joy....your 13 year old son is going to have the best 13th Birthday of his life, and all because you stumped up enough to win these tickets.  You are now the proud owner of the greatest 13th Birthday present in the world.  He will thank you forever, and the 7 friends he invites will now think "You are one cool Dad!!" ..... so....Derren Brown moment over, wake up, and make a bid :-)  Click on the word "bid" to  access the auction page.

No comments:

Post a Comment