Search This Blog

Saturday 25 September 2010

Which way is the wind....?

Well, that was the question....Not that it was blowing a gale, it was a beautiful day.  Twice now, I've been to the Malverns and I have to say I'm quite falling in love with them. 

So, anyway, I looked at the Sun....above, but just to my right...so its heading West, the time is about 1:30pm.  The wind is coming over our left shoulder, and I confidently announce it's coming from the North East!....Really?...you got that from checking where the sun was?  I would have checked where the M40 is?

Laugh...absolutely....but I often do that with her.  She is so fantastically daft, and stubborn you have to laugh. 

Of course it's self indulgent, but in this blog I thought I would share another of the very important reasons I have chosen to forgo chocolate, pizza, chinese takeaways, Guinness (you'll like this link :-) )....the list is endless, and instead to punish myself with healthy living, exercise, and HILLS!! 

There is an inspiration in my life who I now have the pleasure of watching daily as she works herself far too hard....she's completely unaware of just how fantastic she is, but I've seen it most with how she deals with Sam....who, by the way can now spell 4 letter words ending in "CK" with some talent, and will be taking his first Judo grading belt in January...this despite his tutor telling her in May that perhaps he would be better doing something different, something easier, something he could manage?...hmm big mistake... of course I'm writing about Liz....and you should get to know her!

If there is one thing I have learned, it is do not, I mean, do NOT tell Liz that there is anything that Sam cannot learn to do for himself.  Independence has many forms, but being able to shower himself, ride to school on his own, go to the corner shop and bring green topped milk are measures of just how far Sam has come.  There are so many people involved in this achievement, not least Sam's SET, but it is Liz who I watch, joyful when Sam spells "sock" correctly, or when he counts the numbers in 10's from 10 to 70.  

When he writes his own name, or reads a new word it's Christmas every day in this house.   Liz is absolutely amazing with all the kids. Stories have to be read, homework HAS to be done, (even if it sometimes takes 2 hours to write 10 words) and above all....Sam will do this, he CAN do this....it is the achievement I think that spurs her on.  Not her's, his!!  

When I first met Liz, Sam was diagnosed as severely autistic, now it's moderate!!  That's her Kilimanjaro right there!  Liz has climbed it, and she continues to climb it!!   That's why I'm climbing it in March 2011

Like Liz, Autism Concern dedicate every waking hour to helping children, or adults come to terms with their autism, and help them lead absolutely the best life that they can lead.  Independence comes in many forms, we are all unique, but some are more unique than others.....please sponsor me generously :-)



1 comment: