Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 January 2011

74 Days....

Well, the last 4 months have shot past...it seems like just yesterday that I was thinking to myself, how will I persuade Liz to let me do this?   Amazing that a little pop up advert can send you such a journey of discovery..(excuse the pun), but that little red box from Action Challenge which encouraged me to join up has completely transformed the last few months.

Ambition, has moved now to excitement, and now that the year has a "11" on the end of it, well it all seems very close.  In fact, it's 74 days...just 10 more Sunday's??  Blimey...that's just amazing.

I'm nearly done, preparation wise....still loads to do for fitness, but in terms of equipment, I'm there...visa to send off for, and appointments with the doctor for a few injections, and that'll be that.   Today, I confirmed my insurance, bought myself a 4-season sleeping bag, and my kit bag for the journey.   I'm sure if Liz or I sat down to work out just how much I've spent on this trip she'd be having kittens?  So I won't tell her!!

But here's a quick checklist

Boots (by now well worn & blister proof)
Day bag - 35 litres
Ruck Sack - 80 litres
Sleeping Bag - 4 season (warm enough, I hope at -20 degrees)
Walking poles
Thermals (Top & Bottom)
Mountain standard coat
Head Torch (Summit day starts with 6 hours trek through the dark to about 17,500ft to watch the sunrise before making the final ascent to the Uhuru)
Camel Back - 3litres
Water Purification tablets
Mosquitto face net
Mosquitto repellent & repellent bands
Snoods x 2
Camera (including a replacement!!)
Gloves x 2 (Cold weather & Even Colder Weather)
Water Purification Tablets
Sleeping Bag Liners
Waterproof Trousers
Thermal Hat
Diahorrea Tablets

and a Partridge in a pear tree...

All I need now....?  Your sponsorship.  

I'm doing this for a very special charity, local to Northamptonshire, where I live, helping children and adults with Autism.  Autism Concern


No comments:

Post a Comment