Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe

Ok...catchy wasn't it?

I thought it sounded better than the Pincushion, the Thermometer and the Cook-a-Thon.....blimey today has had some variety in it.  

One of the many tasks towards preparing for my little jaunt up Kilimanjaro has been to get myself inocculated against every disease known to mankind...and probably some more besides.  So today, I trooped off down to my local surgery for a selection on needles, as for a few moments I became a human pincushion. 

Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Diptheria, Tetanus, and Yellow Fever jabbed in one after the other...Phil Taylor (15xWorld Darts Champion) would have been proud of this nurse, I nearly shouted "One Hundred and Eightyyyyy!!!   Anyway, I've never been really bothered by needles, but I was upset by two things...
  • The Bill - Oh my goodness.....4 x injections, and a course of Malaria Tablets...that'll be £93 please
  • David Cassidy  !!   Yes...would you believe while I was lying there allowing the nurse to jab me to oblivion, I was forced to stare at a poster sized picture of David Cassidy on the ceiling.  Put there apparently to take the mind elsewhere for the ladies who normally occupy the nurses room??
 And so to the Thermometer....Look,it's over there on the left :-)  When I first considered taking on this challenge, I hoped to raise £3000 for Autism Concern.   Now I thought that was quite ambitious, but wow!!  I have 9 weeks left before I go, and I'm there already....YOU'RE there already. 

Just amazing, and I would like to thank you all so much for your support, in many ways. 

So it's been a rethink...I need to raise the bar...but what to??  £5895 thats £1 for each meter up Kilimanjaro.  Your donations really do help, not only Autism Concern, but they also provide a huge lift for me in my preparation, and motivation.  So far this challenge has consumed me for the last 4 months.  9 weeks to go....Please??  Don't stop!!  Help me to reach the top of this mountain...every £1 you donate will help me make one more step, one more meter til I reach the £5895 summit.  Thank you.

And finally tonight, I have enjoyed the most fantastic dinner, cooked with great enthusiasm by Sam, and Jessica at the cook-a-thon.  It's gone so well, I have decided to let Liz put together a guest blog, which you can see tomorrow. 

This challenge simply would not be possible without support in many forms, and Liz has been quietly going about thinking up some fantastic fundraising ideas, which can engage people in a fun activity, and at the same time earn us a few donations.   Tonight, she succeeded in persuading 30 enthusiastic children to come along and take part in a cook-a-thon.  Imagine...almost every mother from the school now tucking into a Chicken Biryani for dinner, prepared by their 5 & 6yr old children....I love it.   Thank you everyone....and thank you Liz xx


No comments:

Post a Comment