Search This Blog

Sunday 9 January 2011

Sam has a day in the Malverns

Great day today, Sam and I headed off to the Malverns with Charlie & Murphy for a hike. 

Graham? "Why are we going out in the middle of the night?"  hmm...Sam, normally a morning person, struggled for a while to understand that it could be both dark....and morning??  Well, with the sun not rising until about 7:30 this morning, it was dark for quite a while after we got up.

Sandwiches packed for Sam, and a flask of Leek & Potato soup for me, we were on our way.  The weather today was fabulous,  but it was an interesting drive down...very cold overnight, and the roads were like sheet glass with black ice everywhere. 

Anyway, we got there...and pretty soon Sam was off chasing after the dogs up over the hills.  We found our first waypoint, and headed off to find the Giant's cave....not sure that this was the right one, unless this was a very small giant, but Sam enjoyed himself imagining that he was a caveman..
We found a big handprint on the wall of the cave, although Charlie & Murphy seemed less impressed!  

Sam said to me, "when is it 11 o'clock Graham, so we can have chocolate!!"  "I wish I was made of chocolate, he says...then I would eat myself"   

We headed off up the hills, for a great view over the reservoir, Murphy & Charlie introduced themselves every other dogs on the hills today, but I kept them on the lead when this horse came strolling round the corner.  After a hike of about 2.5 miles over Hangman's Hill, and Midsummer hill up to the Obelisk, where we sat down for some well earned lunch.
Down through the woods, dodging puddles, (most of the time...Sam did decide to jump in one up to his knees!!) we wandered off down the Worcester Way until we reached Swinyard Hill, and we could pick up the reservoir again.  Another 1.5miles or so, and we were back at the car.

Sam had a fabulous day out, really enjoyed his walk round the hills.  "Are you going up much higher than this Graham?" he says as we got to the top of Hangman's Hill....Yes Sam...just a bit. 



"And are you camping at night time?"  Yes Sam

"Is it just on one night, Graham?"  no Sam....I'll be gone for 10 altogether....

"Oh great, he says...you won't be able to tell me off, so that means I can do whatever I like!!"

He kept me entertained all day with his quips, and we had a great time...thanks Sam. 


No comments:

Post a Comment